New year, 60th post, two more awards… I thought this would be a good time for a summary of my 2012 year in blogging!
2012 was the year my blog…
- hit 5000 views
- gained 64 followers
- quadrupled average daily views
- was temporarily locked by WordPress (for linking to a ferry company’s website!)
- received its first 3 awards
By the way, I like to make an effort to return the visit of everyone that comments on, likes or follows my posts but this was difficult to keep up while we were travelling last year so I’m quite behind at the moment. I will eventually get around to returning all those visits though! Thank you to everyone that has stopped by!
Top 5 countries my visitors hail from:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Russian Federation
Top 5 most popular posts:
- London vs Melbourne
- Substituting cake and pudding mix in cupcake recipes
- Facilitating a friendly breakup between iPhoto and Flickr
- Finding my perfect engagement ring
- Running Baldur’s Gate on Windows XP
Top 5 irrelevant search terms:
- cartoon eastern europe restaurants
- expensive retro furniture
- greenhouse inside underground shelter
- temple between skyscrapers
- ingredients for prayer biscuits
And now… drumroll…
Very Inspiring Blogger Award
A big thank you to Snigdha of Get Set And Go for nominating me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! Get Set And Go is a travel blog with a particular focus on two things I love: planning and travelling on a budget. It’s down to earth and enjoyable to read. Definitely go and check it out!
The rules for this award are:
- Display the award logo on your blog
- Link back to the person who nominated you
- State 7 things about yourself
- Nominate 10 other bloggers for this award and link to them
- Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements
7 random things about me:
- I don’t have a middle name
- I can speak and read some Italian and Japanese
- I only started drinking cappuccinos because of the foam (it took me longer to enjoy the actual coffee part ;)
- I love cycling but I only learnt how to ride a bike when I was 21 (never too late!)
- I am (somewhat boringly) just Australian for at least three generations
- I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger (particularly RPGs such as Baldur’s Gate, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Morrowind)
- I think a drinking vessel has the power to improve or worsen the drink it contains
I would like to nominate the following inspiring bloggers for this award!
Some of these guys are regular bloggers but a few have quietened off, so I’m hoping this will nudge and encourage them into coming back. :)
- Michael of Retiree Diary – English is not Michael’s first language and he says writing is not one of his skills, but in fact he writes incredibly well and I’m regularly impressed and inspired by his articulate musings and travel stories.
- Mariza of Marizateria – I know Mariza from way back but I’m not biased when I say you’ll find the excerpts from her fabulous art journals and ideas (such as visible goal trackers) particularly original and inspiring.
- Emily of The Adventures of Wembolina – Lovely miss Em started this inspiring blog to document her round-the-world travels. I am completely envious of the awesome way she writes and hope she picks it back up again in the future.
- Malou of Going Dutch – Malou’s vibrant photos and posts about life in The Netherlands inspire me to go back and see all the parts that I missed!
- Quillan and Angela of Toemail – This quirky blog dedicated to pictures of toes and feet from around the world is full of inspiring locations and stories.
- Eva of I’d Rather Be In Iceland – It’s hard not to fall in love with Iceland but if you need any further inspiration look no further than this blog dedicated to all things wonderfully Icelandic.
- Lyna, Ross and Middy of Them Three Pees – Inspiring food and crafty ideas, I would love to see more posts from this new(ish) blog!
- Estrella of Estrella Explores – Get inspired by the tales of a Canadian living and teaching English in Spain.
- Ana of 1001 Scribbles – Ana’s posts about the destinations from her travel wishlist are visual mood boards of inspiration.
- Joy of Joy the Baker – The most deliciously inspiring food blog I have ever had the joy of reading, with gorgeously mouthwatering photography.
Blog of the Year 2012 Award
A huge thanks to Fae of Fae’s Twist and Tango for awarding me with a star for the 2012 Blog of the Year Award! This is the second award/nomination Fae has honoured me with and I’m delighted to see her worthy blog just recently earned it’s 6th and final star for Blog of the Year 2012. :)
The rules for this award are:
- Select the blog(s) you think deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award
- Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required
- Include a link back to this page: ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award, and these rules in your post
- Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the rules with them
- As a winner of the award, please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar… and start collecting stars!
There are just two blogs I would like to award a star to for Blog of the Year 2012:
Joy and Eva – Unintentionally following Fae’s suit by nominating by Joy and Eva for the same two awards Fae did me, I really do have to say that this is my favourite blog of 2012. Not just because I met Eva on our travels last year, although I’m super glad I did because not only is she a lovely person but it led me to her and Joy’s lovely joint blog! I find the topics they blog about uplifting and inspiring, and many of them ring true and echo sentiments of my own.
Everywhere Once – I’m incredibly flattered be able to count Brian among my regular readers as his amazing travel blog is an inspiration to current and future long term travellers everywhere. A wealth of well written articles containing tips and advice as well as posts about their adventures around the world. Highly recommended!